Friday, November 8, 2019

Sam Reviews "Me & Emma" by Elizabeth Flock

"Momma doesn't like to think about things too hard.  I wish I could be more like that.  Seems like all I do is think on things and pretty soon they're worn out in my mind."

"I got handed lemons, too, y'know, but I learned how to make lemonade with them.  No one ever told me I had to add sugar but that's life for you.  It ain't sweet."

"Some days are talking-to-Momma days, some days aren't."

"My head bounces against the counter on its way down, which makes it a little harder not to cry.  But I don't. Cry. That'd be the kiss of death with Momma."

"'I hate you, you little savage. You hear me? I hate you. I hate the way you look, I hate the way you walk, I hate everything about you....'
"I know Momma doesn't mean this. She's just mad and when Momma gets mad she has trouble with her mouth - it won't stop moving, is what the trouble is."

"You know a man can work on his carving his whole life and not git any better at it.  Other things, well, you git better at 'em if you do 'em over an over again through the years. Not wood. You can stay just as bad a carver as you were the day you were born if that's the way it's s'posed to be."

"Answer a question with a question and everyone wins."

"You've never settled into life. You want life to be better to you but it ain't like that.  Not for folks like us.  Life's hard. That's the way it is."

"[She] pulls her case out, settling it on the mattress. It lies there with an open mouth ready to gobble up their lives and sprit it them away from here."

"Sometimes little sisters don't think things through, so it's up to big sisters to help them with that."

No comments:

Post a Comment