Friday, September 15, 2017

Sam Reviews "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum (Oz, #1)

Turns out the movie followed pretty closely to the movie. And I believe the creatures they left out were simply creatures it would have been hard to create when the movie was made. Clearly written for a younger demographic, the story was easy to get through and relatively short.

Quoted from the Introduction:
"Yet the old-time fairy tale, having served for generations, may now be classed as "historical" in the children's library; for the time has come for a series of newer "wonder tales" in which the stereotyped genie, dwarf and fairy are eliminated, together with all the horrible and bloodcurdling incident devised by their authors to point a fearsome moral to each tale. Modern education includes morality; therefore the modern child seeks only entertainment in its wonder-tales and gladly dispenses with all disagreeable incident. Having this thought in mind, the story of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was written solely to pleasure children of today. It aspires to being a modernized fairy tale, in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heart-aches and nightmares are left out."  -L. Frank Baum. Chicago, April, 1900.

Learned a new word:  Garret; a top-floor or attic room, especially a small dismal one (traditionally inhabited by an artist).

"When Dorothy, who was an orphan, first came to her, Aunt Em had been so startled by the child's laughter that she would scream and press her hand upon her heart whenever Dorothy's merry voice reached her ears; and she still looked at the little girl with wonder that she could find anything to laugh at."

"...only witches and sorceresses wear white."  --  Never heard that part of the myth / story before.

"Blue is the color of the Munchkins, and white is the witch color; so we know you are a friendly witch."  --  Dorothy's iconic blue and white gingham dress.

Crazy to me that in the storybook, the Tinman was originally a man but became a Tin Woodman because he kept chopping off pieces of himself and a magical person turned him into tin.

"I shall take the heart, for brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world."

Learned a new definition of a word:  Truck; basically anything on wheels that can be used to carry or haul heavy objects.

When they got to the city and were told they had to put on locked spectacles that only one man had the keys to, I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that.  Sure seems like a fast way to get burned.

"The witch did not bleed where she was bitten, for she was so wicked, that the blood in her had dried up many years before."

"My people have worn green glasses on their eyes so long that most of them think it really is an Emerald City, and it certainly is a beautiful place, abounding in jewels and precious metals, and every good thing that is needed to make one happy.  I have been good to the people, and they like me; but ever since this Palace was built, I have shut myself up and would not see any of them."

"I'm really a very good man, but I'm a very bad Wizard."

"Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge."

"The True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid."

"'I am going to Oz to get my brains at last.  When I return I shall be as other men are.'
"'I have always liked you as you were,' said Dorothy simply."

I don't remember the Wizard leaving the Scarecrow in charge of the Emerald City.

"'Am I really wonderful?'
"'You are unusual.'"


No comments:

Post a Comment