Thursday, September 28, 2017

Sam Reviews "Ozma of Oz" by L. Frank Baum (Oz, #3)

Genuinely I think I like this story best, even more than the original story that inspired the movie.  The puzzle they had to solve (the main conflict) was so interesting and entertaining and reminded me of modern day escape rooms.  I also feel this story was more cohesive and easier to move through, especially compared to the 2nd book in the collection.

If Uncle Henry was so sick, why would a long boat ride to Australia seem like a good idea?

"If one is going to talk, it's best to talk correctly."

"'It's strange' said the girl, reflectively; 'but as I'm not a hen I can't be 'spected to understand that.'"

"'Bill!  Why, that's a boy's name.'
"'What difference does that make?'
"'You're a lady hen, aren't you?'
"'Of course.  But when I was first hatched out no one could tell whether I was going to be a hen or a rooster; so the little boy at the farm where I was born called me Bill, and made a pet of me because I was the only yellow chicken in the whole brood.  When I grew up, and he found that I didn't crow and fight, as all the roosters do, he did not think to change my name, and every creature in the barn-yard, as well as the people in the house, knew me as 'Bill.' so Bill I've always been called, and Bill is my name.'"

"We are safe from the Wheelers until we starve to death, anyhow; and before that time comes a good many things can happen."

"Mr. Smith was an artist, as well as an inventor, and he painted a picture of a river which was so natural that, as he was reaching across it to paint some flowers on the opposite bank, he fell into the water and was drowned."

"Mister Tinker made a ladder so tall that he could rest the end of it against the moon, while he stood on the highest rung and picked the little stars to set in the points of the king's crown.  But when he got to the moon Mister Tinker found it such a lovely place that he decided to live there."

"'Are you of royal blood?'
"'Better than thay, ma'am, I came from Kansas.'"

"I wish you could, indeed, free my aunt and her ten royal children. For if they were restored to their proper forms and station they could rule the Kingdom of Ev themselves, and that would save me a lot of worry and trouble. At present there are at least ten minutes every day that I must devote to affairs of state, and I would like to be able to spend my whole time in admiring my beautiful heads."

"He sold [his family] to the powerful Nome King in exchange for a long life, and afterward destroyed the life by jumping into the sea."

"You can hardly imagine the size of my appetite. It seems to fill my whole body, from the end of my throat to the tip of my tail. I am very sure the appetite doesn't fit me, and is too large for the size of my body."

"'I've married a man who owns nine cows,' said Jinjur to Ozma, 'and now I am happy and contented and willing to lead a quiet life and mind my own business.'
"'Where is your husband?' asked Ozma.
"'He is in the house, nursing a black eye,' replied Jinjur, calmly.  'The foolish man would insist upon milking the red cow when I wanted him to milk the white one; but he will know better next time, I am sure.'"

"...the young men who attend the college are no worse off than they were before.  You see, in this country are a number of youths who do not like to work, and the college is an excellent place for them."


No comments:

Post a Comment