Friday, August 19, 2016

Sam Reviews "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson - August 2016

First of all this is one of my alltime favorite books so I was very excited when Donnia picked it.

I found the Platinum Edition of this book at a booksale and there is a foreward by the author that this was a book she didn't even want to write which I think just makes me love it more.

What are your guys' take on the "The First Ten Lies They Tell You In High School"?
1.  We are here to help you.
2. You will have enough time to get to your class before the bell rings.
3.  The dress code will be enforced
4. No smoking is allowed on school grounds
5. Our football team will win the championship this year.
6. We expect more of you here.
7. Guidance counselors are always available to listen.
8. Your schedule was created with your needs in mind.
9. Your locker combination is private.
10. These will be the years you look back on fondly.

"We got to World War I in seventh grade. Who knew there had been a war with the whole world? ... Iraq or Vietnam, one of those TV wars."

I think she made the wrong decision to not explain the situation when Mr. Neck asked her why she was in the hall without a pass.

Whenever I read this book I have to imagine the art class and teacher is choir so I can relate. Because I am no artist, I like words, so all his nonsense about art being your breath and soul doesn't resonate with me.

I really hate when people talk shitty of people for having sex even if they're refering to cheerleaders.  Especially statements like "Group rate abortions before prom".  Sure hate on cheerleaders for their special treatment by the staff, jealousy of their athletic bodies and dating jocks, even their parents assuming they are well off, but leave their sexual choices out of it.

"Linda means pretty in Spanish. They call me Me-no-linda for the rest of the period. This is how terrorists get started."

"She [the librarian] says that Maya Angelou is one of the greatest American writers.  ...  She must be a great writer if the school board is afraid of her."

When Melinda starts crying cuz her parents noticed her drawing more it reminds me of my bitterness that my parents never cared about my writing.

The part where Melinda talks about cutting herself with a paperclip and then her mom's response being "I don't have time for this" reminds me of my pathetic attempt at attention seeking self mutilation.

"He sets the coffee on the top of his car and fumbles in his pocket for the keys.  Very, very adult this, this coffee/car-keys/cut-school guy."

Even though I do find this whole "Let's not talk about things and hope they go away mentality", I will admit that the way Melinda acts around IT is the same way I act when I see Steven Dolliver or Joel Ritchie.

The part where Melinda skips school and jumps on the bus to go to the mall, and she uses the metaphor about "You just expect the mall to be there like milk in the refrigerator."  It's funny how, now reading that as an adult you think "Well if you don't put the milk there it won't just be there."  Also how she's saying she was surprised it was locked, I remember when my mom and I went shopping for my Senior Prom dress we got into Flint at like 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning and almost all of the stores didn't open until 10:00 and my mom was pissed because she hates driving in traffic which is why she had planned to go, shop, and be home before noon.

"...When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.  You'd be shocked at how many adults are really dead inside - walking through their days with no idea who they are, just waiting for a heart attack or cancer or a Mack truck to come along and finish the job.  It's the saddest thing I know."

"Seeds are inefficient.  If the seed is planted too deep, it doesn't warm up at the right time.  Plant it too close to the surface and a crow eats it.  Too much rain and the seed molds.  Not enough rain and it never gets started.  Even if it does manage to sprout, it can be choked by weeds, rooted up by a dog, mashed by a soccer ball, or asphyxiated by car exhaust.  It's amazing anything survives."

"...it's ready to flower...this is a bad time to be a rose or a zinnia or a marigold, because people attack with scissors and cut off what's pretty.  But plants are cool.  If the rose is picked, the plant grows another one.  It needs to bloom to produce more seeds."

Thoughts on the Ten More Lies They Tell You In High School:
1.  You will use algebra in your adult lives.
2.  Driving to school is a privilege that can be taken away.
3.  Students must stay on campus for lunch.
4.  The new textbooks will arrive any day now.
5.  Colleges care about more than your SAT scores.
6.  We are enforcing the dress code.
7.  We will figure out how to turn off the heat soon.
8.  Our bus drivers are highly trained professionals.
9.  There is nothing wrong with summer school.
10.  We want to hear what you have to say.

"Sometimes I think high school is just one long hazing activity; if you are tough enough to survive this, they'll let you become an adult.  I hope it's worth it."





1 comment: