Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Sam Reviews "Tik-Tok of Oz" by L. Frank Baum (Oz, #8)

This was a good story, and it moved at a good pace. I still feel like the stories without the original characters suffer a little bit, but this was probably one of my favorites that didn't star Dorothy, The Scarecrow, The Tin Man, or The Cowardly Lion.

Does the phrase "Old enough to make jelly" sound familiar to anyone?  I tried to Google it to see exactly what it means, but nothing came up except "How to make jelly"...

"The more Ann thought about the matter, the more she was convinced it would be easy to conquer the Land of Oz and set herself up as Ruler in Ozma's place, if she but had an Army to do it with.  Afterward she could go out into the world and conquer other lands, and then perhaps she could find a a way to the moon, and conquer that.  She had a warlike spirit and preferred trouble to idleness."

"Gentle people are always afraid of those that bluster."

The scene from The Rose Kingdom seems identical from another scene in another book of L. Frank Baum's but I'm blanking on which story.  But, I suppose, it's possible for the main characters to stumble into the same sub-kingdoms from time to time.

"I do [love you].  I dote on thee!  But no true man will neglect his duty for the sake of love."

I find it really interesting they after they go down the tube to the other side of the world, the Private Citizen is treated as the ruler or royalty and the Kings and Queens are treated as average

"One who is Master to himself is always a King, if only to himself."

"It is wise to disregard laws when they conflict with justice."

"'The Land of Oz is not a refuge for all mortals in distress...'
"'The Land of Oz isn't crowded.'"


I'm glad the author finally explained that Toto can indeed talk, he just chooses not to.  After all these stories, having every animal talk except for Toto was an inconsistency that was bothering me to no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment