Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sam Review's "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling - April 2015

Sam's Notes Taken Along the Way

What is a racing bike?  Must be an English thing since in two of J.K.'s books it has been mentioned casually.  Is it just a 10-speed bike?  Or is more like a mo-ped?

Did he have magical hair that couldn't be tamed?  Or was that just character description and there was on specific incident where he made his hair grow back?

Can you imagine being a young kid and trying to jump over something only to begin flying onto the roof?

Why didn't the staff at Hogwarts know how neglected Harry was and change his situation sooner?  Or let him stay at Hogwarts at all times or something?

Why is the school sung who whichever tune you please?

I've always found it interesting that there isn't really a safe place.  It makes the story seem real as well as giving it a thrilling, dark underbelly where something could go terribly wrong at any moment.  Hogwarts isn't a "Safe Zone"

The more I read, the more I feel the characters are way to evolved, brave, and cunning to be eleven.  I know that's probably supposed to encourage young readers but as an adult reading this it seems way over done.

Do they show centaurs in the movie?

I feel like the climax is very short, and kind of anti-climatic once you get over the fact that Quirrell and Voldemort were one in the same.  The actual "battle" is over very quickly which is disappointing.  But that may be because I know this story very well. [P.S. Did you guys realize that Voldemort is included in spell check?]

Overall, I don't know why I hated this book as a child.  I procrastinated about reading it because I found it boring, and then was forced to read 80% of it in one sitting in order to finish a book report for school.  So maybe that put the bad taste in my mouth.  I've seen the movies, although some of the story is still fuzzy to me.  Reading the book again, I felt a lot better.  I still don't feel compelled to go out and binge read / watch the series as a whole, but I'm not totally against it, either.

--||--

Quotes Worth Mentioning

"It turned out [Mrs. Figg] had broken her leg tripping over one of her cats, and she didn't seem quite as fond of them as before."

Hagrid "Do you mean to tell me that this boy knows nothing about anything?"
Harry thought this was going a bit far.  He had been to school, after all, and his marks weren't bad.

"Unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons."  [Pieces that go into Ollivander's Wands.  I just like this mix of things, I'd want a heartstring infused wand].

"Music, a magic beyond all we do here."

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

"As much money and life as you could want!  The two things most human beings would choose above all - the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them."

No comments:

Post a Comment