Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Sam Reviews "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis

It took me way too long to finish this book, but I really did not enjoy it.  I did not appreciate the incessant description of what name brand clothing the characters were wearing or the bizarre foods they were eating.  While the description during some of the more sinister scenes was enticing, those scenes did not make up for the amount of boring chapters in this book.  I understand why these chapters were there, they were meant to show the inner workings of this man's mind, but I really didn't want to know about those bits.  I don't know who I would recommend this book to.  I don't see myself going out of my way to read other books by this author.

"I keep studying her face,  bored by how beautiful it is,  flawless really."

"It's so much worse (and more pleasurable)  taking the life of someone who has hit his or her prime,  who has the beginnings of a full history, a spouse, a network of friends, a career,  whose death will upset far more people whose capacity for grief is limitless than a child's would,  perhaps ruin many more lives..."

"'People need each other.'
"'Some don't.  Or, well, people compensate.  They adjust.  People can get accustomed to anything, right?'"

"It did not occur to me,  ever,  that people were good or that a man was capable of change or that the world could ever be a better place through one's taking pleasure in a feeling or a look or a gesture, of receiving another person's love or kindness."

"You should never mistake affection for passion.  It can be not good. It can get you into trouble."

"There isn't any way I could be disappointed since I no longer find anything worth looking forward to."

"My personality is sketchy and unformed, my heartlessness goes deep and is persistent."

"Is evil something you are?  Or is it something you do?"

"My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone.  In fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."

"Why not end up with her?  She has a better body than most every other girl I know.  Everyone is interchangeable anyway. It doesn't really matter."

No comments:

Post a Comment